Concept of the project
While the new generation of batteries that are emerging, ABattReLife consortium is going to gather automotive industry players, together with strong academic institutions in order to assess the technological barriers for a better battery life cycle as well as the most appropriate technologies to ensure a re-use of the batteries at the end of the optimal life cycle.
The main objective of the project is the development and implementation of a knowledge base on (invehicle) high voltage traction battery deterioration; a safe management structure for EV battery recycling; strategies and technologies for battery re-use and recycling (in particular lithium recycling).
- Develop a technology for optimised materials recuperation from battery waste. This may involve the development of an electrochemical technology based on innovative Li ion & other raw materials selective membranes, which will be less energy-consuming and more effective than existing methods.
- Create a new management structure for re-using and recycling EV batteries aimed at increasing the percentage of re-used batteries and recycled material, as well as improving the knowledge about the deterioration process of EV batteries and the remaining lifespan after rejection for vehicle use (e.g. by accelerated life-span testing).
- Setting boundary conditions for the use of batteries in the first stage of the life-cycle in order to get trade-off between the efficiency and lifetime of battery packs in vehicles.
The main deliverables of the project will be the following:
- Gathering experience / real life data about lithium-ion ageing
- Understanding of ageing phenomena, especially of the non-linearity at the EOL
- Models (reflecting ageing of batteries)
- Recommendations to policy makers on harmonization of legislation and standardization
- Models / process of separating the batteries components
- In-depth study of degradation originating from fast battery recharging
- Report on potential applications for reuse
- Economic analysis and scenarios (reuse, recycling, during the different steps of the ramp up / scaling up)
- Dissemination (controlled by OEM): internal (standardization, commercial teams) + external (policy makers) + Advisory Board (funding agencies, stakeholders, Eurobat)
Project Work plan
The project work plan is divided into 7 different work packages with strong interactions according to a clear methodology for project development (collect and analyse data, define actions, prepare full deployment of the actions via business plan, finance the actions, disseminate the best practices and mentor). While the activities are complying with the EC expectations as expressed in the call for proposals, they are focusing on the project objectives indicated by the Applicants.
WP0 on management/coordination will be conduct to ensure that all deadlines are met and that the rules (legal, financial and administrative) are properly implemented by the Applicants achieving the expectations and the impact of the project outcomes at the EU level.
The needs of final users will be defined at the beginning of the project (WP4) in order to define functional specifications to be considered when assessing the different technologies available The consortium will start studying the Lithium-Ion batteries behaviour and degradation phenomena and develop methods to determine the battery state of health in a view of a potential reuse in other applications (WP1).
The results of this work will allow Applicants in WP2 to evaluate the options to use EV batteries in second life applications and determine the technical specifications of second life batteries while the WP3 will focus on the recycling technologies solutions at the end of life of the battery from the separation to the valorisation of its different components.
Based on the second life and recycling solutions identified, the WP4 foresee a mapping of the actors of the value chain and development of business models.
In WP5, the implementation and feasibility of second life and recycling solutions will be studied in technological and industrial potentials and small scale pilot will be built for the most promising. This WP will enable to close the loop by validating results of the scientific and technological analysis performed within Wp1 to WP3.
WP6 on communication will ensure project visibility and that the project outcomes strengthen the collaborative actions of various actors (academics, industries, SMEs, etc.) of this thematic area to pursue value chain construction.